|Jurisdiction||Maryland- Prince George’s County|
|Servsafe approval||Yes (Online Course, online exam with a registered proctor)|
|Instructor Requirements||Must be approved by Interjurisdictional Food Handler Program Committee|
|Code requirement||Each foodservice facility must employ a certified manager and/or employee on the premises at all hours of operation. After certification examination is completed a local certification must be obtained from the health department.|
|Hours of Instruction||16 hours course and successful completion of CFP exam|
|Certification Renewal||Every 3 years|
|Miscellaneous||Please call (301) 580-4798 for information about certification training and exams.|
Any operator of a restaurant or Class III mobile unit must have a Prince George’s County Certified Food Handler on duty at all times.
Individuals getting their certificate for the first time are required to:
- Complete a 16-hour course (including testing) from one of the approved instructors.
- Take and pass an examination that has been approved by the Conference for Food Protection.
Individuals getting their certificate renewed are required to:
- Complete a 6-hour course from one of the approved instructors, and bring a letter from the instructor stating that they have completed the class.
How do I become a Certified Food Service Manager in Prince George’s County Maryland?
Bring all of the following to The Division of Environmental Health weekdays between 7:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.:
- Your course certificate, showing a passing grade
- A government-issued (United States or State) identification card
- The required $35.00 fee, and
- A completed application.
Your picture will be taken in our office. After your application is reviewed, your certification card will be issued.
For More Information on the Food Handlers Certification Program contact:
Food Handlers (FHT) Training
Office: (301) 580-4798
Toll Free: 1-877-216-3869
Prince George’s County Health Department Location and Directions
The Division of Environmental Health
Prince George’s County Health Department
Largo Government Center
9201 Basil Court, Suite 318
Largo MD 20774
Directions from the Capital Beltway:
- Take Beltway Exit 17A.
- At the first traffic light, turn right onto McCormick Drive.
- Go to the second building (Largo Government Center) on the right.
- The office is on the third floor.
Alcohol Certification (TIPs)
The State of Maryland requires that all liquor licensees, or a designated employee, successfully complete an approved alcohol awareness training program every four (4) years. However, policies differ from county to county as to whether or not the certified individual needs to be on the premises during the hours in which alcohol is sold. For more information, call (301) 580-4798.
Ready to Schedule Your Class Today? Get Certified! Call (301) 580-4798 or visit www.foodservicepermits.com